Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Goin' Tubin'


This ordeal started a couple of weeks ago. When I picked Knox up after school, his baby sitter mentioned that he felt a little warm he had been pulling on his ear. I ran him up to a doctor in town instead of making an appointment and heading to his pediatrician in Bartlett. She said that his ears looked fine, but gave me some drops for the pain. I thought that was kind of weird because why would she give me drops for the pain if his ears were fine? Anyway, I took what I could get. At this point, Knox has never had an ear infection.


The next week, my baby was up all night. I don't mean he slept and got up a couple of times. I mean he tossed and turned on me all night long!! He had a low fever, but I thought he was just teething. When I picked him up the next day, his sitter told me to look at what just happened to his ear. It was draining!! I went straight to his pediatrician and he told me that he had a RUPTURED ear drum. Of course, I felt like the bad mom that let he kid suffer and let is ear drum burst.


After 5 days of antibiotics, he began to run some fever again. I took him back to the doctor and he told me that the antibiotics were not working and his other ear drum had now ruptured!! Apparently, this is not too common for an 8 month old.

Yesterday, I had my visit with the ENT. Knox still has fluid in his ears and he has some hearing loss due to the fluid. We have no choice, but to get tubes. I know that these days it is more uncommon for kids to go on without tubes, but I'm still nervous. Jackson and Riley have never had anything done like this. The most they've had was a trip to the dentist. Luckily, I have some friends that explained that there is nothing to it. **Thanks Laurie and Georgia!
*We're getting the tubes on June 3rd. Pray for us!!

1 comment:

  1. I will say a prayer for that oh so cute little boy. I promise everything will be okay. I felt the exact same way when Addie had it done but when Aniston's turn came I was okay...no worries.

    ReplyDelete